Sunday, April 30, 2006

Stating the Obvious


Ok, I have lost count of how many times the people grumbled, contended or otherwise whined about the conditions in the wilderness, while reminiscing about the good ol' days in Egypt. Not that I'm going to start the stone throwing. Are we not all men off like flesh? I know that I have, on occasion, looked back fondly on my good ol' days, forgetting what a wicked task-master sin was. Forgetting for a moment how gracious and kind my new task-master is to me.

I notice that their complaint comes from being in the wilderness. A situation brought on by their own unbelief, namely the fear of men and their own perceptions of their chances of success. How many times have I found myself in the midst of the consequence of my own actions?

This time after their offering of whine, God sends "fiery serpents" among the people, and some died. It seems that tragedy sometimes helps us see the sin in our lives and motivates us to repentance. As always, God is faithful and provides a way of salvation.

tags Journal Devotional Bible Theology Doctrine Christian

No comments: