Saturday, November 25, 2006

Mortify

But if you do not drive out the inhabitants of the land from before you, then it shall come about that those whom you let remain of them will become as pricks in your eyes and as thorns in your sides, and they will trouble you in the land in which you live. (Nu 33:55)

Sometimes when I read scripture, I see things in a new way. I'm sure I'm not the first guy in 2000 years to see this passage in this light, but this time reading though Numbers I received the proverbial smack up side the head.

For the first time, I saw my own walk. Where, after crossing the Jordan, I have failed to drive out the inhabitants. I can see many areas of my life where I have tried to peacefully co-exist with the old man. Oh, the strife that has ensued.

I can't count how many times I have launched into battle on my own, and gone down in humiliating defeat. Nor can I count how many times I have had to deal with the consequences of those failures. I have a feeling I will need constant reminders, just as Israel did, that my God needs to go before me, that in Him alone is victory.

No comments: