Monday, February 19, 2007

Respect is Love

I sell tools to mechanics for a living. The tattoo above belongs to Tony, one of my preferred customers. As you might expect, he is respectful, respectable and respected. Like most men I know, you know what to expect with Tony. Respect. Men respect men because they are men.

But the ladies may not have this intuitive understanding. Some of the fairer sex may not realize that when men are asked to choose between, "Would you rather feel alone and unloved OR would you rather feel inadequate and disrespected by everyone?" 75% choose alone and unloved.

Now I should mention that in this survey by Shaunti Feldhann (in For Women Only) many men felt there was no real choice, because respect is love. Is everyone beginning to understand why we have gender specific commands in Eph 5:22 and Eph 5:33?

So, ladies, you probably want to know how to avoid disrespecting the men in your life. That is kind of tricky, because different guys are offended by different things. Therefore you will probably treat him with a lack of respect at some point. How will you know? Here is your clue: Watch his countenance. Disrespect is often met with anger. Sometimes that anger manifests as a change of tone, sometimes as silence, and sometimes as walking away. If you see these responses, you may be able to figure out which things push his button.

Think about what Tony said about this topic, "Without respect, there is nothing to build on."
Can I get an Amen?

In my next installment, I'll try to deal with giving respect.

4 comments:

Even So... said...

(cue music)

R-E-S-P-E-C-T

Find out what it means to me...

ann said...

Great film, great music, Even So :)

Brian, interesting thoughts.
As for guys getting easily offended - well, I do not endorse the idea of walking around on egg shells. Sometimes a sound argument helps better to puncture a blown up male ego. (Old feminist nature in me speaking :) )
What I mean is that both parties have to contribute, don't you think?

Brian said...

Ann,
Read "offended" as perceiving disrespect. I also would not endorse the eggshell dance. To me it is disrespectful. It says, "You can't handle the truth; you're not man enough." Sound arguments on the other hand are respectful.

ann said...

Thank You for clarifying this, B.
Of course I agree.