Tuesday, December 26, 2006

Bathwater

edited for typos and other things that annoy my wife. 12/31

Gwen says, "But I still love to wash in your old bathwater." I know it's the girl version of Offspring's Self Esteem, but I don't care. I'm just going to rip it out of context and make it fit what I want to say. I don't even feel bad about it, really. It isn't Scripture; it's not even Zeppelin.

"But I still love to wash in your old bathwater." Some would probably say something to the effect of, "Eeww, that's gross".

But not me. I think, "Would my wife be happy in my bathwater?" Understand that I don't mean bathwater as in "the liquid just below the ring in the tub." I mean it more like, "Have I been so washed in the word of God that my wife is becoming more holy and blameless by steeping in my presence?"

Doesn't Eph 5:25-28 say to love my wife as Christ loved the church? Is she not my primary ministry? Am I a help to her sanctification? Ultimately, does being closer to me draw her closer to Christ? I surely hope so. I surely believe that as I grow, as Christ washes me,
she may one day ask to wash in my old bathwater.

No comments: