Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Captured Thoughts

Mr. Hatfield of Voice of Vision, reminded me of a kind of epiphany I had awhile back. Of course it was recent enough that it's kind of embarrassing to admit that it took so long to get "It".

I have seen many areas of growth in my life as a Christian. But there are other areas that are a constant fight. One of these areas is my thought life. Knowing I was supposed to hold every thought captive (2 Corinthians 10:5), I would try to put the full nelson on every evil thought that came to mind and put it out of commission before it could grow into action. It was a rough life, full of failure.

Then one afternoon I was meditating upon Philippians 4:8. That is when it struck me. I was trying to hold the wrong thoughts captive! My wrestling with the wrong thoughts left little room to wrestle with the thoughts of God.

It has been amazing. The more I fill my mind with thoughts of God, really soaking in His Word, the less room there is for evil. As I think of my family, I see God at work more often. As I look at the world, I see more opportunity and less temptation. I see my works less and less and Christ in me more and more.

3 comments:

Even So... said...

Exactly, Brian...if we use the flesh to fight the flesh we are sowing to the flesh in a way(Galatains 6:7-8)...

Anonymous said...

wow bryan, thanks for sharing that. that was a real eye opener for me also. hmmmmmmm...im going to take some time and chew on that.

thanks again brother

Bryan

ann said...

This last paragraph is very profound. Very true and deep thoughts here.
When we bury our old self and exchange it for all that He is, we receive an abundance of blessings, no matter how hard the outward life becomes. In fact - that's what keeps me going on - the knowledge that the ongoing sanctification in me is a fact, through trials and purification, or, as Campi calls it, in the crucible of Grace, every day.