Sunday, January 14, 2007

Holding Nothing

I figure every one knows the story of the wealthy young man of Matthew 19:6-22. I realize that the common view is that he went away sad and was never redeemed. While I admit that is very likely, the text leaves me a little short of that conclusion.

Let me reveal a little about myself, and how these verses have ministered to me.

About twelve years ago, I was alone in my room. Under the influence of some pretty harsh drugs, God smacked me upside the head. (No, I don't think it was the drugs talking.) I had made a profession of faith some thirteen years prior in a Jr. High youth group. But this night, I had the distinct impression that I was "self-medicating" to cover the pain caused by my own disobedience. Namely, I had tried to take back the life I had already given up to God.

God condescended to rescue me that night. It was a night of immense joy. It was also a night of immense sorrow. After the "Yes, LORD, I am Your possession." I asked, "What more must I do to be complete?" I understood I had to leave everything behind and follow Him. This included all my friends...the type of friends that would not only die for me, but kill also. We were closer than kin. The cost to me, at that time, seemed high. It was all I had, and it broke my heart to obey. But as you know it was but a momentary and light affliction when compared to the glory set before me (2 Cor 4:17).

My brothers and sisters, this is not the only time I have found it necessary to give up that which I loved for the cause of drawing close to my Savior.

More recently, I left a church that is, in my opinion, dying on the vine. But it was a church that allowed me to work on my gift (as modest as it might be) of preaching and teaching. Yet, the majority of the preaching left my family unfed. I could not continue to neglect the spiritual health of my family. I believe my family is my primary ministry, and preaching is secondary. Therefore, even though it saddened me (in some respects) to do so, I moved my family to a wonderful and vibrant church... one where my chances of preaching or teaching (given the depth of talent available) is slim to none. But the resulting spiritual growth in my family (self included), has meant that my "sacrifice" was no sacrifice at all.

By now, I suppose, you can understand why I don't necessarily see "he went away sorrowful" as "he went away to never obey and be condemned to hell." May we all, if called to, give up whatever holds us back from being complete.

2 comments:

ann said...

Thank You for sharing. It is amazing how this is always the Truth, that He came to save sinners...

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing that. Those of us who left that place "gave up" alot and all of us are now in churches where we are all growing and enjoying. Thanks again brother

B~